What do MS, RMHCI, LICSW, LMHC, LPC… letters by the name of providers mean?

These letters refer to a person’s credentials and may vary depending on the provider’s qualifications or licensure. Some of our most common license types include:

LPC.jpg   Licensed Professional Counselors are mental health service providers with a master’s degree who are trained to work with individuals, families, and groups in treating mental, behavioral and emotional problems, and disorders.
MS.jpg   Masters of Science in counseling psychology, clinical psychology, clinical counseling, or educational psychology. A master’s degree in the specified area may require completion of a master’s thesis, dissertation, and/or project.
LMHC.jpg   Licensed Mental Health Counselor is board-certified to treat children, adolescents, and adults suffering from adjustment issues, relationship conflicts, or mental illness.
LMFT.jpg   Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist is board-certified to treat a variety of mental health concerns with the emphasis on family therapy, couples therapy, and sex therapy.
LICSW.jpg   Licensed and Independent Clinical Social Worker is a social worker with an MSW (Master of Social Work) and an additional three years of training. LICSWs tend to specialize in family and marital counseling.
Was this article helpful?
Have more questions? Submit a request

Articles in this section